What to Do After Receiving Your Conditional Green Card

Congratulations on obtaining your conditional residence card (green card)! You may notice that the card you received has an expiration date of 2 years from the date of approval. The office may have also informed you that before the expiration date, you will need to file for removal of conditions. We are here today to explain what you will need to do next. 

A conditional residence card is only valid for 2 years from the date of the approval

Many people receive this card after their marriage interview with the immigration officer. The reason people receive the conditional card is because the marriage has been less than 2 years. Therefore, you will have to file to remove conditions before the expiration date. Removing conditions is when you are asking the government to grant you a lawful permanent residence card which is valid for 10 years. 

How to proceed with removal of conditions applications

You and your spouse will be filing form I-751. This form will ask you basic information such as your names, addresses, children, location of marriage, etc. The questions are similar to what you have filed before when you obtained your conditional residence card. All questions should be answered as best as you can. 

Next step is to gather documents to prove your bona fide relationship to your spouse. You will want to include documents similar to what you provided when you applied for the 2 year green card. However, these documents should be all recent ones and not ones that were previously submitted. Some examples of joint documents include, but are not limited to are recent bank statements, income tax returns, photographs, utility bills, mortgage statements, rental agreements, health insurance, life insurance, auto insurance, credit card statements, birth certificates from new child(ren) and affidavits from friends and family. Basically, any documents with both you and your spouse’s names on them. 

Once you have the application completed, signed, along with the supporting documents, and filing fees simply mail everything to USCIS (Immigration) and wait for the receipt acknowledging they received it. The receipt is usually mailed to the house within a month from the date their office receives it. The receipt will have your case number and also extend your conditional residence card for an additional 18 months. This allows you to continue to work and live in the US lawfully while USCIS is adjudicating the case. Once USCIS is ready to make a decision on your case, an interview will be scheduled and they will notify you. In some cases, USCIS will not require an interview if the evidence of a bona fide relationship is sufficient. If this is the case then USCIS may mail you the 10 year green card. Otherwise, you will not receive the 10 year green card until after your interview and the officer determines that you’re eligible. 

No case is ever identical; call our immigration attorney for assistance

These are the main steps for you to file for your 10 year green card. However, no case is ever identical and will sometimes need additional assistance from legal counsel. If that’s the case, contact our experienced immigration attorney and she will be able to guide you in the right direction. 

Please take notice that the above article is informational only. None of the content is to be construed as legal advice. Always consult with your legal counsel.